Get in touch to discuss your project, and I will provide an estimate for free. In cases where you need proofreading or copy-editing services, I will read a few pages of your work to get a sense of how long the job will take and we can go from there.
The Usual Suspects
I am always very happy to try new things, but the areas I most often work in are:
• Fiction – both with independent authors and those referred by a publisher or agency.
• Non-fiction – both with independent authors and those referred by a publisher or agency.
• PhD theses, postdoctoral research and books or papers by academics working in English as a second language.
• Copy-writing for businesses expanding into an English-speaking market.
Please see my Clients page for examples of my past work, or below for the services I offer.
Copy-editing involves reading the ‘raw’ copy and getting it ready for typesetting and publication. I will:
• Correct spelling and grammar.
• Keep an eye out for inconsistencies in content and formatting.
• Ensure the text flows logically.
• Flag up any factual errors I notice.
• Ensure language is pitched correctly for readership.
• Ensure supporting material such as graphs, tables, or images fulfil their role.
• For more information, see the SfEP guide What is Copy-Editing?
This is usually the last round of edits before publication. After a piece has been copy-edited and typeset, the proofreader looks at the complete product and checks for formatting or layout issues, textual errors missed by the copy-editor and author, and any other ‘oddities’ which catch their eye. I will:
• Work either on screen or on paper.
• Correct typos, spelling errors, and grammatical errors.
• Highlight inconsistencies in formatting and language use.
• For more information, see the SfEP guide What is Proofreading?
A developmental edit is a more substantial edit for a fiction or non-fiction piece. I will:
• Provide a summary of your argument or narrative with suggestions on how this can be improved.
• Meet with you (in person or digitally) to discuss possible improvements to ideas, characters, plots, or any element of your text which needs more work.
• Look at several versions of the piece and provide feedback.
Editorial projects I have managed include:
• Implementing editorial workflows.
• Overseeing the production of anthologies and other books with multiple authors.
• Implementing publication schedules.
• Transforming publishers’ print back-catalogues into digital books.
I have received training in project management for publishing, and I love the organisational challenge so please get in touch to discuss your project: I am sure I will be keen to take it on!
You can’t be a good editor unless you are a good writer! I can provide sparkling, informative and engaging copy for you.
• Copy-writing for business websites, leaflets, pamphlets.
• Articles and reviews for blogs, magazines and newspapers.
I work with authors to create well formatted, beautiful e-books in a variety of formats, including MOBI, AZW and EPub.